HomeMauiMolokaiLanaiKauaiOahuBig Island
Oahu Top Bottom Template

Oahu Motor Vehicle Licensing Bar
Home > Oahu > Government > Motor Vehicle Licensing

Oahu Motor Vehicle Licensing Information

Registration records of all vehicles in Hawaii must be updated annually.

The deadline for registering vehicles is the last working day of the expiration month of the current registration. However, if the registration expiration date occurs on a Saturday, Sunday or legal holiday, the delinquent renewal penalty fee will not be charged until after the next working day.

Make checks payable to: City and County of Honolulu. Proof of Hawaii motor vehicle insurance is required to obtain a vehicle inspection, and the vehicle inspection sticker and certificate are necessary to operate a vehicle on all Hawaii roads and for all vehicle ownership-registration transactions.

Non-resident active duty military personnel must submit a properly completed Non-Resident Certificate, Form CS-L (MVR) 50, for each registration, renewal or transfer or transaction.

*Form CS-L (MVR) 50 is available from your military personnel office or your military unit.

Yellow Divider

Vehicle Registration Renewal

If your vehicle is registered in the City and County of Honolulu and you have recently received a renewal application form, you may submit your application on-line. All on-line renewals are to be made by credit card only (VISA and MasterCard are accepted).

To renew your vehicle registration on-line and for more information, go to HONOLULU's On-Line Vehicle Registration Renewal System.

You may also renew your vehicle registration by mail to:

Division of Motor Vehicles and Licensing
P.O. Box 30320
Honolulu, Hawaii 96820-0320

When mailing the registration application to you, the City provides a self-addressed envelope.

You may also renew your vehicle registration in person at any Satellite City Hall. Call 808-527-6695 for office hours and addresses of the Satellite City Halls. Payment is accepted in the form of cash, check, money order, traveler's check, or cashier's check. No credit cards accepted.

Yellow Divider

Registering New Vehicles Bought from an Oahu Dealer

When you buy a new vehicle on Oahu, the dealer will probably have it registered and licensed for you. But if this service is not provided, follow these steps:

1. Fill out an Application for Registration, Form CS-L (MVR) 1, which must be signed by you, the     registered owner(s) and countersigned by a licensed Oahu vehicle dealer.
2. Submit a current Hawaii Vehicle Inspection Certificate.
3. If you are an active duty service member stationed in Hawaii and a non-resident of this state, you     must submit the Non-Resident Certificate, Form CS-L (MVR) 50, available from your military     personnel office or your military unit.

The required fees will be determined by vehicle registration or Satellite City Hall personnel.

Yellow Divider

Out of State Permit - must have the following

1. Current Out of state registration
2. Shipping document (Bill of Lading)
3. Fill out CS-L (MVR) 27 form (out of state permit application form)
4. Current Hawaii Vehicle Inspection Certificate 

In lieu of Out of State permit - Registered owner must produce the following for vehicle currently registered out of State:

1. Out of state Title (if available)
2. Current Hawaii Vehicle Inspection Certificate
3. Current out of state registration
4. Bill of Lading
5. Fill out an Application for Registration, Form CS-L (MVR) 1, which must be signed by you, the     registered owner(s)
6. Pay the license plate and emblem fee. The Hawaii expiration date will be the last day of the full     month that the out-of-state registration expires.

Yellow Divider

For more information, please visit the Official Site.

Click below for a full directory of Oahu Information:

Click for Honolulu, Hawaii Forecast
Oahu Bottom Bar Oahu Hawaii Information & Travel Guide
Activities, Lodging, Weddings, Restaurants...
| Site Map | Legal Disclaimer | Links | ADVERTISE |

Copyright © 2008-2013 AlohaIsles.com
Home to AlohaIsles Oahu Main Page